Ways of Funding Your Business
Did You Know?... There are over 170 different Government backed funding and support schemes available to businesses in the UK! *
62 of these schemes are suitable for pre-starts, 135 schemes are available for start-ups and 155 schemes are for businesses available for established businesses.
*correct as of July 2020
In addition to the schemes below, Coronavirus (COVID-19) support is available to employers and the self-employed, including sole traders and limited company directors. You may be eligible for loans, tax relief and cash grants, whether your business is open or closed. Click here to find out what support is available to your business.
Over 170 Government Backed Grants, Support & Funding Schemes for your Business!
Types of schemes available.
Types of schemes available.
- Finance, Loans & Equity
- Business Support eg. mentoring, consultancy etc.
- Recognition Awards
- Funding for small and medium-sized businesses and start-ups
- Access to finance - Greater Manchester and Lancashire. Access to finance is a scheme for businesses who need help raising finance for growth.
- AD:VENTURE - Leeds City Region Provides free business development support and guidance.
- Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) - UK Advice on good practice in employment and employment relations.
- Agri-tech Cornwall - Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly Grants and support to increase research, development and innovation in agritech.
- ART Business Loans - West Midlands Loans for new and existing small businesses to create and safeguard jobs in the West Midlands
- Arts University Bournemouth Innovation Vouchers Vouchers to access external expertise, facilities and equipment to help your business innovate and grow.
- Barking Enterprise Centres - London Free support, help to access low-cost flexible workspace for new and existing small or medium businesses in Barking and Dagenham.
- BCRS Business Loans Loans to help small and medium-sized businesses develop and grow.
- Be inspired at Staffordshire University Offers free support and guidance for graduates of any university in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to start a business in Staffordshire.
- Better Business Finance - UK Free, quick and easy access to a directory of approved finance suppliers for UK businesses.
- Big Issue Invest - UK Big Issue Invest helps social enterprises and charities by providing loans and investments.
- Biorenewables Development Centre (BDC) – Yorkshire Support for scientists and business specialists to solve a process, material, or product development challenge.
- Buckinghamshire Business Growth Grants Grant funding up to the value of £5,000 available to invest in projects that will help grow your business.
- Buckinghamshire Business Growth Programme Free business support and advice tailored to your business needs.
- Building Legacies - London An enterprise growth and procurement support programme for London-based businesses.
- Built Environment Climate Change Innovations - West Midlands Free support for small and medium-sized businesses in the development of products and services that reduce carbon usage.
- Business advice and masterclasses - East of England Advice, workshops, loans and innovation grant services for start-up and trading businesses in Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk
- Business advice and support - South East England Free advice, planning and on-going support for business start-ups.
- Business advice, training and support services - North Somerset Information, advice, training and support for businesses based in North Somerset
- Business advisers and start-up services - Colchester Start-up advice and support for businesses in Essex.
- Business and Intellectual Property Centre - British Library London Advice, databases, publications and workshops for business owners, innovators and entrepreneurs who want to grow.
- Business Assist - The Midlands One-to-one advisory sessions and specialised workshops available for businesses in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Greater Lincolnshire.
- Business Cash Advance - UK Alternative financing for UK small business owners.
- Business Continuity Forum - Manchester Increases awareness of business continuity management in Manchester's business and voluntary sector.
- Business Development Grant Scheme – Scarborough Grants to help new start-up and established SMEs looking to grow or relocate to the Borough of Scarborough.
- Business Energy Efficiency Programme - West Midlands Energy reviews and grants to help businesses in the West Midlands manage and reduce energy costs.
- Business Enterprise fund - North East England Financial support for small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) in Yorkshire and the North East.
- Business growth - Calderdale Supports West Yorkshire businesses that are aspiring to grow, become more competitive or develop new products and services.
- Business Growth Grant - Leicestershire Grants from £2,000 to £25,000 for capital projects.
- Business Growth Grant Scheme - Mansfield Grants for established businesses in Mansfield that can produce a growth plan leading to job creation.
- Business Growth Loans - Sussex, Kent, Surrey, Essex and Hampshire Business loans for companies that can't get funding from banks and other mainstream providers.
- Business Growth Programme 2 - Greater Birmingham & Solihull Grant support for growth businesses trading over 6 months in the Greater Birmingham & Solihull LEP area.
- Business Growth Programme 2 – The Marches Grant support for individuals and businesses looking to start, grow and expand in the Marches LEP area.
- Business loan scheme (CWRT) - Coventry and Warwickshire Loans for companies in Coventry and Warwickshire that can’t get finance from mainstream lenders
- Business loans, grants and funding - Scotland Finder to help businesses based in Scotland find funding from private and public organisations.
- Business Northumberland Coaching, one-to-one advice and classes to help businesses with growth potential attract investment and increase sales.
- Business Solutions - South West England A range of business growth programmes to help businesses start, succeed and grow.
- Business start-up grant scheme - Mansfield Grant to fund new businesses in the Mansfield area.
- Business start-up support - North Tyneside Free start-up and ongoing support for businesses in North Tyneside
- Business support - West Berkshire Planning, marketing strategy, investment and general guidance for businesses in or looking to relocate to West Berkshire.
- Business support grant scheme - Tewkesbury Borough Grants, general advice and signposting service for businesses within the Tewkesbury borough.
- Business Support Programme - Coventry and Warwickshire Flexible support service for start-ups and established businesses in Coventry and Warwickshire
- CDC Enterprise Agency - Durham Advice and support for new and established businesses.
- City Business Library business information - London Free information, seminars and workshops to help start-up and growing businesses
- Civic Improvement Fund (ECIF) - Elmbridge Grant to funds projects that help the Elmbridge economy, including improving empty shop fronts
- Coast to Capital Expansion Loan Scheme - Surrey and Sussex Loans for established small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) that need finance to grow
- CompeteFor contract service - UK Free support to help businesses compete for major public and private sector contracts
- Conservation grant scheme - Howardian Hills Grants to help with community and rural conservation projects.
- Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) grants scheme - England Support and funding to help businesses increase their competitiveness in the construction sector
- Coventry and Warwickshire Green Business Programme Grants, free energy audits and low carbon product development support for businesses.
- CRACK IT – Challenges A fund to support competitions which solve business and scientific 'challenges' and deliver commercial benefits.
- D2 Business Starter Programme - Derbyshire Free workshops and one-to-one support to help residents and early stage businesses explore their potential and learn how to set up a business.
- D2N2 Capital Growth Fund Grant funding towards capital investment projects
- D2N2 Growth Hub Business Investment Fund (BIF) Grant funding towards business productivity and efficiency projects
- DE-Carbonise Project - Derby and Derbyshire Support and grants for SMEs to help them to reduce carbon emissions.
- Digital Drive County Durham Support to help businesses do more with digital technology.
- Digital growth - Manchester Events, advice and specialist workshops to help businesses with digital technology in the North West of England
- Digital Innovation Programme - Tees Valley A support programme for non-digital companies in North East England.
- DigitalCity Accelerator Programme - Tees Valley Workshops, mentoring and a possible business development grant of up to £5,000 designed to help digital SMEs looking to grow.
- DRIVEN - ESF High Level Skills programme Grants and support to help SMEs across Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire to recruit and retain talented students and graduates.
- Durham Ambitious Business Start-Ups An ERDF funded support programme for start-ups including workshops, advice and mentoring
- Durham Digital Workforce Free digital learning courses for business owners and employees.
- Durham Sparks Support for ambitious community enterprises and new community entrepreneurs across County Durham.
- E-business 2 programme - Greenwich IT Advice and training for businesses in the London Borough of Greenwich
- Employment Support and Training (EST) - Bury Employment support for people who are eligible for a personal budget and looking to develop their skills.
- Energy Efficiency Grant - Greater Manchester Grant towards an energy efficiency project like a lighting, heating or equipment upgrade that will reduce energy bills and environmental impact.
- Energy for Business - Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Business support and grant funding for energy efficiency projects.
- Enterprise Answers business loans Business finance, advice and support for businesses of all stages
- Enterprise Europe Network - East of England Expert advice for small businesses in east England looking to commercialise new ideas and succeed in international markets
- Enterprise Europe Network - Greater London Expert advice for small businesses in the Greater London area looking to commercialise new ideas and succeed in international markets.
- Enterprise Europe Network - Midlands Expert advice for small businesses in the Midlands looking to commercialise new ideas and succeed in international markets
- Enterprise Europe Network - Northern England Expert advice for small businesses in the north of England looking to commercialise new ideas and succeed in international markets
- Enterprise Europe Network – South East England Expert advice for small businesses in the south east of England looking to commercialise new ideas and succeed in international markets
- Enterprise Europe Network – South West England Expert advice for businesses in the South West looking to commercialise new ideas and succeed in international markets
- Enterprise Loans (ELEM) - East Midlands Government-funded loans for start-ups and businesses looking to grow in the most deprived areas of the East Midlands
- Enterprise M3 Expansion Loan Scheme Loans to support business expansion in Enterprise M3 areas of Surrey and Hampshire.
- Enterprise M3 Growth Fund Growth funding for businesses in parts of Surrey and Hampshire.
- Enterprise programme for young people - UK The Prince's Trust helps young people aged 18 to 30 who want to set up their own business in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
- Enterprise Steps - London A tailored programme of free support to new and established enterprises based in London, offering guidance to support growth.
- Fair Business Loans Unsecured loans for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) that have been refused mainstream funding
- FEAST 2 Grant funding and specialist support for food and drink manufacturers
- Finance For Enterprise - South Yorkshire and North Midlands Loans and advice for new start, early stage and established businesses across South Yorkshire and North Midlands
- Find It business opportunities - Worcestershire elp for Worcestershire businesses to find supply chain opportunities.
- Fit For Nuclear business support - England Business support and advice for companies that want to bid for work in the civil nuclear industry
- Flexible Support Programme Advice on innovation for small and medium-sized business (SMEs) in Durham County.
- Fredericks Foundation loans Loans for businesses that have been turned down for mainstream funding.
- Funding and advice for space services - UK Funding, technical and business expertise, networks and partnerships for businesses who are looking to develop a space-based service.
- Funding Circle - UK Peer-to-peer loans for established SMEs in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Future Focus - Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly Tools, resources and collaborative networks to help businesses innovate, grow and adapt for long-term success.
- GC Business Finance - North West England Start-up loans and equity investment for small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) based in Greater Manchester and the North West.
- Get Enterprising Free growth support programme for early stage businesses in Hertfordshire.
- Get Growing 2 Business support and possible grants for SMEs in Hertfordshire, designed to help identify and overcome barriers to growth.
- GetSet for Growth East Dorset Workshops and one-to-one coaching to help businesses grow in Christchurch, Bournemouth and Poole.
- GetSet for Growth West of England Workshops and one-to-one coaching to help businesses grow in Bristol, North Somerset, Bath and North East Somerset, and South Gloucester.
- Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme (GBVS) - UK Grant contribution to pay towards upgrading business broadband to a high-speed capable connection.
- Grants for business growth - Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Grants for property, development, research, staff, advice and equipment to develop your business.
- Greater London Investment Fund Loan fund for businesses who are looking to grow in the Greater London area.
- Growing the social enterprise sector - West Midlands Free coaching and expert business advice for pre-start and existing social enterprises in the West Midlands.
- Growth Start-up Support Programme - Greater Manchester An intensive programme to help business start-ups in the Greater Manchester area.
- Growth through Mentoring – North East England Mentoring for growing businesses in the North East of England.
- Havering Business Growth Programme Workshops and one-to-one coaching to help businesses start and grow in Havering, East London.
- Heritage Enterprise (HE) - UK Funding to help restore neglected historic buildings and sites and unlock their economic potential.
- High Impact Scale-Up Coaching Grant Grants of between £2,500 to £5,000 for high growth businesses in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, North Somerset, Bath and North East Somerset.
- Horizon 2020 funding Funding for research or innovation that's ground breaking, improves European research standards or responds to challenges like climate change or food security.
- Inclusive Enterprise Programme - JumpStart Personalised support to start a business.
- Industrial Partnership Awards (IPA) - UK This scheme supports academic-led science projects where an industry partner has an interest in its potential use.
- Industry fellowship Scheme to enable knowledge transfer between scientists in industry and academia.
- Innovate UK - grant funding, innovation loans and expert support Supports innovative UK businesses to realise the potential of new technologies, develop ideas and make them a commercial success.
- Innovate2succeed - UK Up to 9 days of specialist innovation help for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Innovation Support Project - Chesterfield Support to help businesses grow and innovate in the Derbyshire
- Innovation Voucher Innovation vouchers and workshops to help SMEs develop new processes and systems to improve efficiency and introduce new products and services.
- Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI2) - UK Grant programme focusing on improving health outcomes by speeding up the development of, and patient access to, innovative medicines.
- Instant business advice - Manchester City Free live chat business advice for entrepreneurs, start-ups, existing businesses and residents in the Manchester City Council local authority area.
- Invest - Sefton Advice, support and financial assistance for new businesses, existing businesses and inward investors in Sefton.
- Invest East Investment Readiness Programme - Norfolk and Suffolk Free investment readiness programme helping SMEs prepare to raise equity and other forms of finance.
- Invest in - Manchester Free support for businesses looking to expand or re-locate in Manchester.
- Invest in - Nottingham Free financial support for businesses looking to relocate or expand in the Nottinghamshire area.
- Invest to Grow Loans and grants to support private sector businesses across the East Midlands to innovate, grow and create jobs.
- Investment Fund - North of England Finance to help small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the North West, Yorkshire, the Humber and Tees Valley
- Key Fund - Midlands and the North of England Grants and loans for social enterprises in the North and the Midlands.
- Kick Off in Business – business start-up workshops A free 4 day programme to help you start a business in Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Sheffield and Leeds.
- Leeds City Region LEP Capital Grants Capital grants to support expansion projects that create jobs in the Leeds City Region area.
- Low Carbon Innovation Fund - East of England Investment for small to medium enterprises (SMEs) in the east of England to help lower their carbon output.
- Low Carbon Workspaces - Hertfordshire Offers grants to implement energy efficiency measures.
- Low Carbon Workspaces – Berkshire Offers grants to implement energy efficiency measures.
- Low Carbon Workspaces – Buckinghamshire Offers grants to implement energy efficiency measures.
- Manufacturing Growth Programme - Midlands, Yorkshire, East of England Free advice and support for small and medium-sized manufacturing businesses.
- Media sub-programme grants - UK Grants for the film, television, new media and video games industries
- Medilink - East Midlands Support and services for the East Midlands life sciences sector.
- National Skills Academies - England Find quality assured training provision for your sector from a National Skills Academy in England.
- National Tooling Loan Fund - England Loans to help toolmakers and component manufacturers fund the design, development, and manufacture of tooling.
- NBV Grant for Enterprise Grants to support growth of micro and small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Greater Lincolnshire.
- New Business Start-up Advice - East Durham Advice and support for entrepreneurs looking to start a business or become self-employed in the East Durham area
- North East Investment Fund - North East England Loans for capital projects that encourage economic growth and create jobs in north-east England.
- North of Tyne Growth Fund Grant funding for business growth projects that lead to job creation.
- Northern Ireland Business Support Finder A searchable database that can help you find publicly-funded sources of business assistance that you may be eligible to apply for.
- Outset Cornwal lAdvice and support to help start and grow new businesses in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
- Outset StartUp East Dorset Support and loan finance to help start and grow new businesses in Christchurch, Bournemouth and Dorset.
- PNE Enterprise - business support service - North East England Mentoring, start-up business courses and support schemes for businesses based in the North East of England
- Product and Process Innovation - York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Innovation funding for small businesses in York, North Yorkshire and East Riding.
- Productivity Through Innovation Tailored support from the University of Nottingham, Nottingham Trent University and the University of Derby for meaningful and sustainable productivity improvements to increase turnover, competitiveness and profitability.
- Proof of concept funding - Worcestershire Grants for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to develop and test early stage innovative business ideas.
- Regional Growth Loan Scheme - East of England Loans to finance growth for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) across the east of England
- Repair Grants for Heritage at Risk - England Grants for the repair and conservation of historic buildings, monuments and landscapes.
- Resource Efficiency Support - Greater Manchester Help for businesses to reduce their use of resources and energy.
- Rosebud Micro loans - Lancashire Loans, support and advice for Lancashire businesses.
- Self-employed Support - Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Business advice and subsidised training for businesses in Kensington and Chelsea.
- Signage grant scheme - South Somerset District Council (Area North wards) Grants and advice to encourage the manufacture and placement of new permanent signage in key locations.
- Skillmakers - Hertfordshire A free service that offers Hertfordshire businesses information on skills and training, recruitment and corporate social responsibility.
Small business grants and funding - Devon and Somerset
Advice and support on funding for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Devon and Somerset.
- South East Creatives (SECCADS) South East Creatives is a business development and grant programme supporting freelancers and sole traders, start-up and growing businesses working in Essex, East Sussex or Kent.
- Staffordshire Business Funding Grant scheme for Staffordshire businesses to pay for external specialist advice to help develop or market a new product or service.
- Stand-alone LINK - UK Supports collaborations in new areas of exploratory science with no current industrial use but may have future applications.
- Start up advice - Woking Free support and advice for new businesses in south-east England.
- Starting in business programme - Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Greater Lincolnshire 4-day workshop on starting and running a successful business available in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Greater Lincolnshire.
- Support to help businesses grow - Cheshire and Warrington Support for start ups, new and established businesses including workshops, master classes, one-to-one advice, mentoring and peer-to-peer support.
- Sustainable Development Fund - Howardian Hills Grants to help with social and rural economic development projects.
- SWIG Finance Loans for new and growing SMEs in the South West of England
- TALE (Transport and Logistical Efficiencies) Support, workshops and grants to help SMEs who transport goods or deliver services, to improve their use of data.
- Tees Valley Business Start Up programme Free advice and possible grant funding for residents thinking of starting a business in certain priority sectors.
- Tees Valley Catalyst Fund - North East England Provides the cash security required for performance and warranty bonds for any company in the North East.
- Tees Valley Leadership and Management Programme Grants for Tees Valley SMEs who are looking to grow by improving the leadership and management capabilities in their business.
- Thames Valley Berkshire expansion loan scheme Loans for established small and medium-sized businesses needing finance for activities and projects that will make them grow.
- Thames Valley Berkshire growth fund For small and medium-sized businesses looking for equity investment in the south-east of England.
- The Hertfordshire Start-up Programme Free business support, workshops, grants and incubation space for new businesses in Hertfordshire.
- The Hive - North Somerset Workspace with on-site business support in Weston-super-Mare.
- Tourism grants - Eden Small grants to help fund projects that will generate tourism and similar economic benefits in Eden.
- Town centres loan scheme - Trafford Council Interest free loan scheme for businesses looking to occupy vacant, ground-floor premises in Altrincham, Sale, Urmston or Stretford town centres.
- Two Zero - Lancashire Growth support for scale-up businesses
- UEZ Fund Programme Specialist support and funding for SMEs in the food and drink manufacturing or packaging sectors.
- Wenta mentor scheme - Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire Up to 6 months' free business support from an experienced business mentor
- WRAP environmental business advice - UK Confidential advice and support on environmental issues for all UK businesses
For full information on each scheme, visit https://www.gov.uk/business-finance-support-finder
This website Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0
Read more on:
Securing Funding - Credit Dos & Don'ts
<<Back to Grow
<<View all Business Offers
This website Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0
Read more on:
Securing Funding - Credit Dos & Don'ts
<<Back to Grow
<<View all Business Offers